BERLIN — Early this morning at 1:37 a.m. all four town fire departments responded to a structure fire at 62 Smoky Hill Road. While no humans were injuries at the home, fire officials said 18 cats were found dead at the scene and a number of other animals were rescued.
The departments reported the scene as a fully involved structure fire. Upon arrival an attached garage and breezeway were fully involved with flames spreading into the main part of the house.
The homeowner was out of the structure however there were numerous animals that were removed by the fire department and turned over to Berlin Animal Control for treatment.
"We estimate there was one dog and 10 cats that were alive but approximately 18 cats that were deceased at the scene," Kensington Chief Mark Lewandowski said.
The fire was under control in approximately 20 minutes. While all of the Berlin departments were at the scene, Meriden also responded by covering some of Berlin's fire stations during the incident. Cromwell also assisted.
Deputy Fire Marshal Matt Odishoo said investigators think the fire was accidental and that it started with an electrical problem. The homeowner made statements that she had attached an extension cord that was running to two space heaters, which Odishoo said may have been the cause of the fire.
"We can never probably prove that or find that out because of the damage," Odishoo said. "Pretty much the whole (breezeway) was completely destroyed."