Frankie Resto, who fatally shot a Meriden convenience store owner on June 27, 2012, is considering a plea bargain, according to the Hartford Courant.
State Sen. Danté Bartolomeo (D-Meriden) spoke in response to reports that a Resto, 37, the Meriden man charged last year with the shooting death of convenience store owner Ibrahim Ghazal, had accepted an undisclosed deal.
He's charged with killing Ibrahim Ghazal at the EZ Mart at 271 E. Main St., after pointing a handgun and demanded money.
An unidentified witness who was inside the store at the time of the robbery told police that once the man received an undisclosed amount of money he shot the clerk in the chest and then ran out of the store.
Last July, police arrested Willie Breyette, 25, in connection with a robbery and shooting death.
Last July, Detectives from the Meriden Police Department took custody of Resto from Brooklyn Superior Court, Brooklyn, N.Y., after he waived extradition and turned himself in to NYPD.
“I believe Resto should get the maximum time allowed under law for murdering Mr. Ghazal," Bartolomeo said. "There is no doubt that he has committed the crimes he has been charged with. Family, friends and our community need to know that justice was served for this horrific crime.”